Description Job Description:
Leidos currently has an opening for a Sr. Design and Fabrication Technician to work with the US Army Combat Capabilities Development Command in Natick, MA fabricating airdrop and shelter components.
- Participate in design, development and fabrication of parachute and/or shelter components and assemblies: Ascertain characteristics to be designed into the items and contribute suggestions and design ideas for solving problems encountered during fabrication and development. Developing corrective actions for defects found. Search for available information and develop a design approach.
- Evaluate industry developments for possible application to military requirements. Make preliminary layouts, work out design details, and fabricate prototypes.
- Draw upon knowledge of construction techniques, production methods, materials availability, and design practice. Consider loads, tensile strengths, finishes, sizes, weights, and other design aspects. Confer with design draftsmen to explain design and fabrication details.
- Assist project officers by fabricating experimental and prototype parachutes and related airdrop items such as personnel parachutes (Troop type, emergency rescue and ejection seat), cargo delivery, as well as shelters, tents, covers and other soft wall structures
- Repair and/or modify airdrop and shelter fielded equipment by basting of new pieces of materials and making very fine and precise seams to attain strength equivalent to that in original assembly; remove stitches, damaged panels or lines, and sew in replacement parts.
- Interpret work orders, blueprints, sketches, and verbal ideas presented by project engineers. From this information, prepare design layouts for fabrication of parachutes by making freehand sketches, in order to obtain desired contour and radii and marking out according to specified dimensions, the shapes, figures and angles required in fabrication of various parachute canopy arrangements, packs containers, harness and lines or other assemblies. Advise project engineers as to the feasibility of ideas and fabrication techniques and methods to be used for different purposes from knowledge of industrial fabrication techniques. Make layouts to demonstrate practicability of concepts to assists in the accomplishment of realistic parachute designs.
Ability to read and interpret technical drawings and fabricate a final product efficiently
CAD and/or Solidworks sills
Excellent communication and problem solving skills
Strong attention to detail
Ability to prioritize tasks and work on multiple actions at any given time
Excellent analytical and technical skills
Ability to work independently as well as with others in a team
BA and 2-4 years relative experience or HS Diploma and a min of 6 years of relative experience.
Fabricate and repair existing aerial delivery systems, harness and parachutes of all types and classifications.
Experience in parachute repairs and patches
Knowledge and experience of personal parachute systems and assembly both civilian & military
Ability to follow technical manual procedures
External referral eligibleExternal Referral Bonus:EligiblePotential for Telework:NoClearance Level Required:NoneTravel:NoScheduled Weekly Hours:40Shift:DayRequisition Category:ProfessionalJob Family:Materials EngineeringPay Range: