This position is responsible for providing leadership, planning, strategic direction and financial oversight for, and delivering, a portfolio of products for commercial market segments or lines of business (including Health and Wellness) or affiliated companies, in order to achieve enrollment, revenue and profit performance and business goals. This person will be responsible for working with the key internal teams (including sales, underwriting, actuarial, operations, channel, marketing communications, finance, IT, etc) to drive the planning process, the plan development / execution for their overall segment portfolio or line of business. This will include, but not be limited to, driving market insights, product lifecycle management, market planning, portfolio management, portfolio delivery, financial management, performance monitoring, pricing, and strategic integration. This individual will also play a key role in working with their peers in support of the sales, channel, research, and marketing plans as part of the overall segment plans. This individual will manage direct reports, will lead cross functional teams, and have a high visibility role with executive leadership given their team's impact to the overall organization's performance.
1. Leads the strategy and sector plan for either a segment portfolio or line of business. Develops the strategies, solutions road maps, plans, and tactics to drive profitable customer acquisition and retention to achieve enrollment, revenue and profit performance and business goals. Takes primary responsibility for the product and pricing plans while supporting cross functional peers in developing the sales, channel, marketing and promotions portions of the plans.
2. Advances an integrated approach to identification and resolution of market trends in collaboration with Sales, Market Research, Marketing Communications, Customer Experience and other functional areas. Drives the discovery and validation of market problems and opportunities (both existing and future customers) and translates these to opportunities for the portfolio - re-stages, new offerings/ value propositions, or new niche markets.
3. Directs the overall portfolio management / lifecycle management and portfolio delivery including re-stages, new offerings, and retirement of existing products to meet the overall needs of the market and achieve the business and financial objectives.
4. Monitors and evaluates the segment portfolio or line of business performance including market share, profitability, growth, customer feedback and competitive insights. Oversees portfolio optimization to improve Blue Cross' competitive position. Directs communication of segment performance to the executive team and other key stakeholders.
5. Advances strategies that support the overall sector plan and corporate initiatives including health improvement, lowering healthcare costs and increasing individual engagement.
6. Provides leadership direction in working with peers to shape other areas of the overall segment or line of business plans including sales, channel, marketing and research plans.
7. Maintains close relationships with the market (through customers, brokers, agents, consultants, BCBS association / Blues Plans, and industry experts) to inform opportunity areas. This includes identification of appropriate target segments, their unmet needs, and strategies to address these needs.
8. Determines opportunities and strategies to buy/build/partner decisions to advance the overall business strategies. 9. Manages a team within the department including interviewing and hiring employees following the required EEO and Affirmative Action guidelines and ensuring the team members receive the proper training, coaching, and performance planning. Conducts team performance evaluation and management consistent with the department and organization guidelines.
- Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 10 years work experience in the healthcare, sales, marketing, sales operations or related field.
- Excellent portfolio management skills and supporting project management skills
- 3 years experience managing complex projects involving multiple team members and including task assignment, working with key customers (internal or external), managing teams and customer relationships and managing project deliverables.
- Strong strategic thinking, analytical, innovation, financial and decision making skills.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills; proven ability to communicate and collaborate with multiple audiences (internally - various levels of management; externally - healthcare professional, business people, and consumers).
- Proven experience in developing and executing winning product plans to deliver corporate objectives.
- Skilled at managing products through stage gate development process.
- Ability to drive results in a complex, often ambiguous, environment.
- Proven experience in managing products in a highly regulated environment while meeting overall corporate objectives.
- Self-directed, ability to manage multiple tasks and projects in a timely manner.
- Self- directed to expand industry best practices to extend to BCBSMN.
- Health and wellness market focus preferred National accounts experience with major medical insurance solutions preferred
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, M/F/D/V. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota is a drug free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a background check and drug test before beginning employment.