To direct, manage and administer the Ramsey County Parks and Recreation Department; to plan, develop and manage a comprehensive system of County and regional parks, open space, trails, and recreation facilities and programs that address the leisure needs of Ramsey County residents; to secure and manage fiscal resources for acquisition, development, operation and maintenance of the parks and recreation system; to formulate recommendations and implement policies and ordinances of the Ramsey County Board of Commissioners; and to perform related duties as assigned.
To view or download a copy of our recruitment informational brochure for this position, go to: Director of Parks and Recreation
- Promote a diverse, culturally competent, and respectful workplace.
- Promote programs and services that effectively meet the needs of all Ramsey County residents.
- Direct the formulation of all goals, objectives, priorities and work programs for the Parks and Recreation Department.
- Serve as the principal staff liaison to the Ramsey County Parks and Recreation Commission; prepare agendas and corresponding documentation for policy consideration and recommendation to the Ramsey County Board of Commissioners.
- Analyze the leisure needs and interests of Ramsey County residents identified through applied research and recommend strategies to address identified deficiencies.
- Direct the preparation of the annual operating, capital asset management and mobile equipment replacement budgets for the Parks and Recreation Department; present the proposed budgets to the Ramsey County Manager and the Ramsey County Board of Commissioners; direct management and control of budget expenditures and revenues.
- Represent Ramsey County on various national, state, and regional boards, committees and task forces.
- Direct the preparation of strategic plans, system plans and master plans that guide acquisition, development and use of parks, trails and recreation areas.
- Direct the preparation of the six year Capital Improvement Program (updated biannually) for the department; present the Capital Improvement Program to the Ramsey County Capital Improvement Program Advisory Committee and the Ramsey County Board of Commissioners; direct implementation and budget management of approved projects.
- Direct the preparation of funding requests to the Metropolitan Council, State departments, Federal agencies and private sponsors for acquisition, development, operations, maintenance and program services; direct the administration of grant contracts in compliance with applicable rules, regulations and laws.
- Direct the preparation of policy and County ordinance recommendations with appropriate support documentation for consideration by the Ramsey County Board of Commissioners; present recommendations to the Board for consideration.
- Direct the administrative, financial and accounting functions of the department to assure timely and accurate reporting in compliance with the County's administrative code and applicable laws.
- Direct the preparation and maintenance of the department's public information, public relations, marketing and promotional activities, including print and electronic media; serve as the department's principle spokesperson with the news media.
- Represent the department at public meetings and hearings involving city councils, city appointed commissions, regional councils and legislative committees, and on matters included in the County's legislative platform.
- Meet with business agents and labor representatives to address mutual interests and concerns.
- Direct the preparation of Requests for Proposal and the selection of consultants to plan, design and engineer capital improvement projects; negotiate contracts with selected consulting firms.
- Interpret and administer parks and recreation policies in ordinances as adopted by the Ramsey County Board of Commissioners.
- Provide executive-level advice and leadership on County-wide committees addressing special initiatives and/or advancing goals and objectives of the County Board or County Manager.
Education: A Bachelor's Degree in parks and recreation, public administration or a closely related field. (Master's Degree preferred).
Experience: Ten years of progressively responsible experience in the management and administration of a parks and recreation department, including five years in a managerial capacity.