Education Requirements: Four-year construction/engineering degree or equivalent combinations of technical training and/or related hands on experience such as lineman or electrician.
Experience: Three years of extensive electrical estimating in high and medium voltage work is
preferred. Two years of renewable energy self-performed electrical work is also preferred. Experience with estimating software (HCSS) is highly desirable.
Position Summary: The Estimator is responsible for coordination of bidding procedures, bid accuracy and technical compliance. The Estimator will analyze electrical design, specifications, proposals, review subcontractor quotes, and other documentation to prepare time, cost, labor and material estimates as part of project proposals. Electrical applications include transmission, transmission to distribution voltage substations, overhead / underground distribution, pad
mount transformer installations and 600 volt wiring. Knowledge of SCADA systems is helpful.
Essential Job Functions
- Review proposal specifications and drawings to determine scope of work and required contents f estimate.
- Calculate various statistical data - quantity take-offs, material price lists, labor costs per
man-hour, equipment, and specialty items.
- Utilizes company-estimating system to develop bid package and follows company
guidelines, systems, policies and procedures.
- Research historical data (purchase orders, subcontracts, productivity analysis reports, etc.) and
compile summary reports to develop guidelines and precedence for estimating self-performed work.
- Maintain files of working documents for back up to estimating figures, including current
(accurate) information on prices from suppliers through direct contact, sales brochures, price lists, etc.
- Monitor proposed estimates with actual cost data.
- Review design options and recommend best solution based on cost, engineering quality or
availability of materials.
- Consults with clients, vendors, subcontractors or other individuals to discuss and formulate
estimates, schedule work activities, and resolve issues.
- Develop clearly written proposals for clients.
- Self-motivated and works well with others, processes a positive attitude, provide quality customer service, create customer satisfaction and work productively.
Additional Job Functions
- Performs additional assignments per supervisor's direction.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Advanced knowledge of construction estimating techniques, cost- control, and proper scheduling of purchases and work.
- Ability to read and understand engineering drawings, purchase orders, contracts, cost coding systems.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work accurately and quickly under pressure.
- Strong leadership and conflict management skills required
- Excellent organizational and decision making/problem solving skills
- Valid driver's license and acceptable driving record required
- Extensive travel required
Return to all .