|[Position No Longer Available]||Forward Print|
|Company:||Memorial Blood Centers|
|Job Location(s):||St. Paul, MN|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Hours per Week:||40|
|Work Hours (i.e. shift):||3rd shift|
|Starting Salary Range:|
|Required Education:||Bachelor's Degree|
|Required Experience:||2 to 20+ years|
|Required Security Clearance:||None|
|Related Categories:||Hospital Positions, Healthcare - Pharmacy/Laboratory, Healthcare - Technologists/Technicians|
Memorial Blood Centers
St. Paul, MN
Full time, 3rd shift
Precisely and accurately performs and interprets technical procedures to satisfy hospital referrals and requests. Completes all ancillary duties including reporting of test results, sample processing, reagent preparation, and record keeping. Serves as consultant regarding resolution of patient testing, assists in development of new procedures, and participates in continuing education.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Accurately performs serological testing necessary to resolve referral problems or respond to customer requests in a timely manner. Accurately records and interprets test results, maintains necessary documentation according to established procedures
2. Accurately performs serological testing including antigen typing on donor samples in a timely manner; accurately records and interprets test results, and performs necessary documentation according to established policies and procedures.
3. Works closely with area transfusion services to resolve serologic problems, provide compatible blood products, and makes recommendations on selection of blood for patient transfusions, based on MBC policy. Provides consultation in a professional manner.
4. Accurately performs platelet compatibility and crossmatch per customer request in a timely manner. Manages requests for HLA matched platelets in a timely manner. Accurately records and interprets test results, maintains necessary documentation according to established procedures.
5. Approaches and resolves each serologic case uniquely, using an extensive list of departmental procedures/policies, in both routine and on-call circumstances.
6. Accurately prepares laboratory reagents; performs necessary documentation and quality control according to established policies and procedures.
7. Accurately performs and documents quality control and maintenance procedures for test reagents and equipment; satisfactorily performs assigned proficiency testing.
8. Participates in writing of procedures and evaluations of alternative methodologies and equipment.
9. Complies with all established policies and procedures including testing, reporting protocols, safety practices, confidentiality policies, personnel practices, maintains and promotes teamwork and communication internally and externally; completes all other duties as assigned.
10. Assists in processing requests for reagent donors including scheduling and recruitment of donors, and ensuring shipment of appropriately processed and labeled units.
11. Monitors and organizes inventory of in-house typing reagents and other source antibodies for education, research and reagent use; maintains an adequate inventory of commercial reagents and monitors other supplies necessary for lab operations.
12. Participates in continuing education; documents required continuing education units.
Training and Education: Medical Technologist with ASCP or NCCLS certification, or Bachelor degree in biological sciences with equivalent certification.
Experience: Minimum of 2 years experience with blood bank procedures and immunohematology methods.
Skills and Abilities: Ability to work independently, organize and prioritize workload, keep accurate records and work irregular hours, including weekend coverage. Good problem solving skills. Good written and verbal communication skills. Good computer skills required.
Knowledge: Understanding of advanced red cell and platelet serological methods through baccalaureate program in Medical Technology.
Efforts: Position involves working with potentially infectious materials, i.e. blood and body fluids; and chemical hazards, i.e concentrated acids and bases.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.